Czech Volleyball Federation

For my Bachelor’s thesis I redesigned the logo, visual identity and website of the Czech Volleyball Federation, creating a set of visual, typographic and structural rules that tie the federation’s visual communication together.

Note that this is concept work I did out of love for the sport; it is not in use by the volleyball federation.



Volleyball is a sport of great tradition in the Czech Republic; respecting this tradition was a starting point for the whole work. I researched volleyball materials from the past, including old rulebooks, local publications and international tournament branding, as well as visual communication of current professional volleyball teams. I took a specific dive into the history of the Czech Volleyball Federation logo and tried to find as many versions of it as possible.


The project aims to bring system and peace to a scattered visual world (e.g. a series of local federation logos), creating new ones for subjects that should have one, and trashing irrelevant logos that feel superfluous.


One of the things that make this comprehensive system possible is the use of two color versions: basic and a ceremonial, golden one. Both of these logos have two variants that differ in their shape: basic and a simplified version for use in small sizes.


Visual Identity

The new visual identity builds upon the logo and introduces typographical and visual principles to help frame information, highlight hierarchy and help the reader associate CVF’s materials with its brand. Thin, red lines are introduced as both decorative and functional elements (e. g. showing you where to fold a letter). The premise of these lines lies in the lines that border a volleyball field; their red color comes from a typical czech (and almost only czech) volleyball surface: a clay court.


Typographically, the identity relies on two typefaces: Aktiv Grotesk and Capitolium 2. Both of these typefaces are highly legible and functional yet have a clear and elegant voice; together they feel confident and athletic. Both are also available as webfonts, so that the identity doesn’t lose anything on the web.



Czech Volleyball Federation’s current website is what made me pursue this project. It doesn’t suffer from bad content – new articles come in daily and there is plenty of information to present. The problem is in how this information is presented.

That’s why the two main goals for my website redesign were a new uncluttered structure and legibility (with that comes typography, UX, responsive design and a handful of other sub-goals).


The following screenshot was the very beginning of my work on the bachelor thesis; a page with selection of regional competitions. To go to your desired one, you have to dig through lists of folders and know its exact code. In my redesign, the information is presented very clearly to allow you to go to your desired competition without hassle. Note that this design and organisation of information is based on extensive research (creating user personas, drafting new structures and principles).


With usability and accessibility comes hand-in-hand responsive design. I didn’t want to have a mobile, tablet and desktop version; instead, the design adapts itself to every possible screen size and resolution while maintaing proportions between font sizes and paddings (this is done by utilizing a modular scale on which every measurement, font size and scale is based on). This way, the website responds even to huge desktop monitors and presents a slightly tweaked experience.

A big part of the CVF website are tables and competition standings. I approached them with a twist, making some of the less important columns with data dissapear on mobile devices.

Check a working demo here – and don’t forget to fiddle with you browser window size!


This part of the project was the most challenging, mainly because I wanted to have the working demo page to get a real feel for responsivity. That’s why I designed 95 % of the website in code; here are some of the pages I created.

The website could possibly make for a case study and project on its own, from dissecting its current structure to creating user stories and arriving on specific values and feelings the page aims to get across. The reason I don’t explain it in more detail is because I feel like the Czech Volleyball Federation might feel differently about some of the choices and motivations I made along the way. A closer collaboration would be needed to come up with a truly complex and succesful solution – and the federation is probably already working towards that.


Overall this was probably the most challenging, but also fun, project that I did. If you don’t have enough and want to dig in, here’s the full thesis (in Czech).